Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Theophilus London-This Charming Mixtape-Exclusive Interview

We at Writer's Block are highly enthused with the talent of Theophilus London, I know I am, so in order to keep the movement moving we did an exclusive interview with the fellow himself. We asked the questions that you always wanted to ask. So read and be enlightened!

And make sure you download the Introduction to This Charming Mixtape-Grey X Sage (Misty Night). Click the link.

1. What made you change your name from Thelonius Kapps to Theophilus London?
I was born Theophilus London II - named after my great grandfather. But I hated it growing up. I got teased, no girls wanted me (laughs). I always wondered about changing my name to some simple sh-t. I had to learn how to spell it at the age of 4. Grew up, got in the "In crowd" started studying and researching music and I stumbled across Thelonius Monk. Really clinged to it and my nick name was Kapps. So it made sense. I began to grow as an artist, gain self-knowledge, affect lives and connect positive peeps thru music and it just felt so real to just be me. Why portray a character?? I rather just give me. So I made the switch.


2. Explain the significance of the name of This Charming Mixtape?
This Charming Mixtape is a collection of Mood and Desires contrasting with attitude and Soul. Its Charming and dark at the same time. Very mysterious and str8t forward Pop music. With all my musical backgrounds such as Hip Hop, Punk, and Soul.

3. After the mixtape what’s next?
I'm gonna tour the mixtape. 35 cities in the States. And then head over to the UK to promote as well. My goal is to get this mixtape in everyone's home, ipod, and clubs. People are starting to understand excellent music.

4. If you could collaborate with anybody who would it be? Why?
Solange Knowles-Why? Because me and her together are gonna destroy sh-t coming this fall. Her new album is gonna be serious. I promise.

5. What do you do to alleviate your Writer's Block?
I hum melodies and dance. Also I have many inspiring friends. For instance, if I went around one, all they would have to do is say one word and ill be inspired. I'm sure you have a friend like that..

This Charming Mixtape will be free online at the end of this month, but until then:

MeanRed presents
Theophilus London's Ultraviolet/Ultraviolent release party at Webster Hall (studio)

Live Performance + Live Djs
Melo-X
Dj Will Gates
Click the picture to RSVP!

2 comments:

NA said...

I love him. He's truly talented and a Rocker my heart. That place should have been packed out last night! Next time.

Anonymous said...

The album photography is mine, so check out some more exclusive photography here Daniel Warrington Photography